Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Wed,, Nov. 15 - HARRY'S BIRTHDAY

Dear hearts,

Today is our hero's birthday which he celebrated with a cup of Starbuck's coffee and a snickers, declaring it the best birthday meal he'd ever had. Our sleeping arrangements have once again taken a turn. Last night with me back at home and him at the hospital, we both were lonely for the other and had a hard time sleeping. At about 11:30, I almost drove back to the hospital figuring if I WASN'T going to be able to sleep, I might as well not sleep there. This morning, we agreed that sleeping apart was a very bad idea (I did not point out that it was the Birthday Boy's idea), so I'm here at the house gather up some things so that I can move in again tonight.

One of the things he wants is a set of his bar bells so he can work on strengthening his arms. Today he walked a few steps and then sat up in the chair for an hour. Hopefully, physical therapy will come this afternoon as well. He's also getting the Foley cather out today. That's the last thing he's teethered to, so he'll have complete freedom.

The results of the biopsy are not yet in, and may not be for another day or two. They do some kind of special testing with different stains on this sample, so it takes longer.

Our plan is for him to exercise as much as he can while I come back here during the day and get things ready for his triumphal return, then go back to the hospital in the late afternoon to tuck in for the night. This will make us both feel we're making progress toward getting home with minimal wear on our nervous systems. Gotta be able to look over and see each other or we go into the weeds.

I love you all so much!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

just as the people providing your care have guided the way, so will they guide you for support or rehab at home, if needed at all.
I LOVE COFFEE!

bill & talley

The Leamy's said...

Wow! Coffee, chocolate and a lover!Now, Harry, that's my kind of Birthday Party.

Better than fishing? Well, let's not get carried away.

Wonderful progress. Hang tough, both of you. Feel the vibes coming from guys in the bass club.

Tim

pmacleamy said...

Happy Birthday Uncle Harry! Jen and I are thinking of you, Eileen and the whole family around you. All our love and best thoughts!! -P and J

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday again, Harry; it was great to talk to you yesterday. Much love to you and Eileen from your twin.

Larry and Donna

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday Harry. I was so pleased to finally receive your blog address and read that you are on your way back. My prayers are all for you. I have been thinking about you a lot lately. Matt and John are in touch and we were so thrilled to see John and Emily last year at Matt and Ellery's wedding. Take care and know you are loved by many.
Diane Bell

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Harry!

Mohamed-Ali Hasan said...

Happy Birthday! Keep the good news coming. It is making every day a happy day.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Harry!!!
And Larry!!!

So good to hear how well things are going.

Hugs and kisses and balloons and ribbons and streamers and flowers and Snickers and Starbucks!!!!!

Susie and John

The Leamy's said...

Harry----spirit, mind and body getting stronger every day....and you are closer to going home. Keep it real and trust that all will be well.

Much love to you and Eileen

Lynn, Tony, TJ & Matt