Dear hearts and gentle people,
First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHRISTIE/AUNT CHRISTIE/ALICE!! This woman has not changed a bit since she was in college - right, Rob?
Sorry for the two day black out. Absolutely nothing is wrong. In fact, things are going great. Larry and Donna were there for our triumphal rearrival on the 5th floor. Harry was still a little disoriented and kept turning the lights on all night so he could do "my exercises." Finally at about 3 am, when the lights flipped back on for the 4th time, I pointed out it was the middle of the night and asked him whether we could just keep the light off and go back to sleep, to which he answered (while pumping his arms in the air), "I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in getting out of here. If YOU"RE interested in sleeping, go sleep someplace else." I took my comforter and pillow to the lounge where some fellow had apparently been rousted from his wife's room as well, so he slept on the couch and I slept spead over a chair and ottoman. The next day, Harry was complaining about the food (about time!), so he's certainly getting his wits about him. All his vital signs are excellent, and yesterday the white blood cells were at 4.9 - so good they're hardly even worth repeating anymore. He has finished out all the antibiotics, so all he has left is an IV to make sure he's hydrated. He's eating regular meals supplemented by protein shakes, and can get almost anything he wants - last night he asked for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but said today that, "It wasn't like at home." (Yes, tomorrow I'll have one from home for him.) The physical therapist got him sitting up (with help) and standing (briefly and with help) on Friday, so all that really remains right now is for him to build up his physical strength. He's more "present" everyday and today told me our phone number, address, his social security number and his birthday. He's been making jokes and even laughed out loud at a discussion we were having about the famous "ea" debate. He also asked me to bring back his PalmPilot and a Wall Street Journal tomorrow. For those of you who know him well, that says it all!
I've been feeling a sore throat coming on and so came home to sleep last night. Phaedra is here this weekend, so I'm going to be at the hospital during the day, but sleeping at home the next couple nights to get some really restful sleep. Once she goes back to school, I and my night mask will move back into Harry's room. Hopefully, by that time, he'll be better oriented to night and day again - a common problem for people coming out of the ICU where the lights are on all the time.
Dr. O'Rourke has been out of town since Wednesday, so I expect that when he returns on Monday, he'll decide when he'll do the bone marrow biopsy.
I'll try not to let more than a day go by again without blogging. Harry even confided to me, "I haven't been writing on the blog," with some concern. Harry Our Hero rides again.
I love you all.
Saturday, November 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love you Mom.
We're back home and the first thing I did was go to the blog. What awesome news! If you need anything, don't hesitate to call. Remember God loves you and so do we!!!!
Great news! Absolutely fantastic.
I've been getting questions from guys in the bass club and I'll pass on the "current standings". Lots of prayers coming your way -- for both of you -- from folks in the bass club circle, members and spouses as well. We'll keep 'em coming.
Thanks for the update.
Tim
Post a Comment