Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Tues., Nov. 1, Day 21 - From Eileen

Dear Hearts,

Today was another day of small victories. This was supposed to have been the EARLIEST day that Harry would start growing his own white blood cells, but instead, today he is at .9. That's a full 25% - only 75% more to go. His sepsis continues to lessen, and his kidneys are still holding their own. They are trying to wean him off the ventilator, and it's clear that he's trying to breath on his own, so they now give him periods when the ventilator is turned off to allow his body to get some "exercise" in breathing on his own. He once again opened his eyes several times during the day, and when I sang him the little petunia/daffodil song he wrote for me, he lifted up his arm for me to hold his hand. The nurse said that when she said, "I hear you taught Mechanical Engineering," he squeezed her hand to answer yes. When I asked him to squeeze my hand to tell me he loved me, he was too pooped to do that but did raise his eyebrows to answer. All three of his doctors are "very pleased" with his progress, so we're expecting that tomorrow will be another good day. Jill went back home today, and Christie will leave tomorrow. Yesterday Jen asked me how long Christie was staying, and I said, "She says she'll stay as long as I want," to which Jen asked, "How about as long as I want?" My wonderful, steady sister has been a source of calm and comfort for more than just me. Yet another blessing.

I love you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will thank God with my entire heart for Harry's wonderful progress. I love you both so much.

Anonymous said...

I have been hesitant to post a comment lately, because I am tongue-tied with emotion. I am certainly feeling what everyone else is so elequently expressing. What is so pervasive in this experience is the strong love that Eileen and Harry have for each other, and the love that is surrounding them so completely from so many wonderful people. With the strength that Harry has shown and the class and humor that you both possess (camp head lights?) you are sailing through this and being an example to us all. We are all benifiting from the wonder that is Harry and Eileen. Know completely that we all love you like a rock and we are with you every step of the way, cheering with each spot of good news. You both mean so much to us, we love you dearly. Take care and keep up the magnificent job that you both are doing.
I love you,
Laura
P.S. Bob asked if Christie can come down here and spend some time with us whenever she is finished up there with you! :)