Monday, October 23, 2006

Monday, Oct. 23, Day 12

(Eileen typing)

One and all,

Happy Birthday to our beloved Finn the Fireman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel better. After having eaten nothing yesterday and walked not at all, I regained an appetite for both today. As it happens, my blood is infected with a gram positive bacteria of some kind, and they are treating it with an antibiotic IV drip. (Note from E. - they tell us infection is expected - "part of the game when you play with chemo").

So, today I walked - DRUM ROLL PLEASE - TWO MILES. (From E - we now refer to laps over 13 as GLs - "gravy laps"). I also felt focused enough to do some reading and ate most of my food. (From E. - I'm catching on to bring him a chocolate dessert from the cafeteria - works like a charm.).

A very sweet nun from St. Anthony's School came by with the Holy Eucharist for both of us, and that gave the day a considerdably brighter start.

Just a note on the topic of Glad Press N Seal. This material is the perfect thing for covering wounds before going into the shower. It sticks well to itself (not so well to skin), but if you can get a double layer togaed around yourself, it will keep you dry. We have bought 17 rolls.

My love to you all, and my thanks for your continued support, kind words, cards, letters, CDs, and surprise packages. I feel quite blessed to have you all as friends and family.

Till tomorrow...

P.S. From Eileen

Today was a good day. Jen, your dad had a wonderful time pasting all the little stars around the room. Tonight, we'll sleep under a starry sky. Please forgive me, but I don't think he has a need to know about ALL the chocolate - some of it made it's way to my side of the room for emergencies. And to my sisters, yes, we're now lost, so I'm going to sit right down on this log and open my chocolate bar.

Betsy, OF COURSE I know who you are, and it's so wonderful of you to share your story - I'm so happy for you.

Let me tell you, the Leamys are going to leave here not only in remission, but totally buff. Harry set not only a personal best, but also a floor record with that 2 miles today. As for myself, I don't want to be walking down to the lake our first day home and have Harry say, "You mean to tell me I went throught chemo AND your butt fell, TOO?!" So I went up to the gym on the 10th floor and did a little running. I'm proud to say, I lapped everyone there. Of course, most of them were hampered by the weight of the oxygen tanks they had to drag along behind themselves, but HEY - I'm still calling it a victory!

You are ALL so wonderful. I know from experience how hard it is to be away, but it's all good. Harry gets strength from picturing you all in your normal daily lives. Just think of us as being on Apollo 13, on the far side of the moon, slingshoting our way back to Earth.

I love you all and thank God daily for you. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear your feeling better, Pop :)

Love you both!!!

Mohamed-Ali Hasan said...

Applause... applause! TWO miles! Hurrah! Great job Harry, keep it up! We are counting the minutes for Apollo to land safely back.
Best wishes and much love.